Thursday, March 12, 2009

All That Glitters . . .

Never underestimate the learning ability of a puppy! Patience also helps. I am doggie-sitting two Goldendoodles and I have a client that I need to teach this trick to their dog. So I decided to use her and teach it to her so I can be ready when I train my client's dog to do this as well.

I taught her the "Go to your mat" command which can be used in many ways. It's simply teaching a dog to go to a specific spot. This is great for teaching a dog to go to a spot when you open a door, cook dinner (to get out of the way), have guests over and want the dog away but not in a crate or the yard . . . you get the idea.

The best way to achieve this is using something that the dog can use as a visual to go to. A mat, rug, bed, etc. I like a bathmat as they are usually backed with rubber so they don't slide and they are flat. A bed can be puffy and so I actually prefer a mat or rug (not an area rug, a small rug).

Keep in mind I just taught this to her. She never knew it and it took me about 10-15 minutes and she ended up going to the mat from about a 10 foot distance once I was done. Of course to get further or be able to give the command from a longer distance you would need to build on it but that's no problem at all. Here she is in action (cute little fluff-ball isn't she?)!

No comments:

Post a Comment